The successful candidate will be a business-minded attorney who demonstrates a hands-on, practical approach to problem solving. The General Counsel must have the ability to manage multiple projects, negotiate effectively, and collaborate with colleagues in a fast-paced environment. As the company’s first attorney, the General Counsel is expected to build out the legal function in a way that manages risk effectively while promoting the continued growth of the business. The General Counsel will report to the Chief Financial Officer.
• Oversee all legal issues for the company, including designing, structuring, building and managing the company's internal legal function.
• Provide legal support of efforts to expand business operations.
• Provide business partners with thoughtful, practical legal guidance, as well as risk assessment and mitigation strategies.
• Ensure that the company remains compliant with applicable law.
• Oversee external counsel and manage spend effectively.
• Participates in business transactions and negotiates critical contracts.
• Serves as Corporate Secretary and works closely with the company's Board of Directors on all business, legal and governance issues affecting the company, recording and reporting on meetings.
• Assumes ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable law; serves as de-facto chief compliance officer.
• Partners closely with the CHRO on employment matters and the development of corporate policies.
• Advises on legal aspects of the company's legal entities, including assessing and advising on current and future corporate business structures.
• Advises the business on legal issues including, but not limited to, corporate governance, capital structure/equity, intellectual property, insurance, data privacy, employment, litigation/disputes, contracts, risk management, and real estate.
• JD from an ABA-accredited law school and admission to the Florida bar or certification as Authorized House Counsel in Florida.
• 15+ years’ experience as an attorney with a mix of law firm and extensive in-house experience focusing on general corporate work (not litigation).
• Prior GC experience required.
• Experience working in a private equity or venture-capital backed company and an understanding of portfolio-owned company dynamics is helpful though not required.
• Must be a “doer” with excellent attention to detail and an organized approach to quickly identify and solve problems.
• Highly developed written and oral communications skills, with the ability to clearly communicate complex legal issues.
• Highly collaborative and able to organize and manage projects with multiple stakeholders and groups.
• Extensive negotiation experience with demonstrated ability to use creative problem solving to get to “yes.